Most of the Indian students go abroad for their higher studies. USA, Canada, Australia, Germany, UK and institutes of many different countries are preferred by our students. While most of them concentrate on GMAT/GRE scores and applying to the institutes, most of them ignore the most important part – Visa.
Here we will discuss about the visa procedures in detail.
Requirements to get a visa :
- Finilaise the university.
- The application which you have applied to the university must have been accepted.
- Must be a citizen of India, preferably with no prior criminal records.
Procedure to get VISA :
1.Applying to the desired school and getting accepted by it :
The candidates should first apply to an institution and program, preferably accredited by the government of the country, and get accepted there. This should preferably be done 9-12 months prior to the start of the next academic session. After this, they may proceed to the next step.
2.Applying for visa and paying the fees :
Once they have the offer letter, they can visit the nearest Consulate of the respective country in which they want to study and fix an appointment to get their visa application done. For some countries, online application form may also be available.
However, different courses and institutes have different visa requirements. Students may apply for the wrong visa and end up being in trouble, hence visiting the consulate once is highly recommended, even though it is not mandatory.
If the candidate is sure, then he may proceed to apply online.
Some of the personal details needed in the application form are :
- Name and date of birth
- Address and phone number
- Passport details
- Details of previous international travel, if any
- Family, work and education details
- Medical health information
Some countries recommends some vaccines be taken by a candidate prior to application, make sure that is done properly.
After successfully filling up the application form, the candidates next have to pay the visa fees. The visa fees vary for different countries. For the US schools, it is around $180-$200, depending on the type of the visa applied for.This procedure is time taking and hence students are advised to apply as soon as they have the offer letter in their hands.
3.Scheduling and attending a visa interview
This is the last step in the visa process.
You need to visit your nearest consulate to get this done. US Consulate sometimes conducts telephonic interviews as well, even though that is quite rare.
The important documents that must be carried during the interview are :
- Passport valid for a period of 6 months beyond the period of study
- Print-out of visa application form
- Visa fee payment receipt
- 1-2 photographs in the prescribed format (Preferably carry 5-6)
- Printed copy of interview letter
- Institute offer letter
These are not generally asked for, but make sure you carry these :
- Aadhar card, PAN card or any other government approved identity proof
- Transcripts and certificates from previous attended institutes
- Scores from tests like GRE, GMAT, SAT, TOEFL etc.
- Financial evidence showing you have enough funds required to study abroad
After successfully completing all the 3 steps, you should get a visa. They never reject anyone unless and until something adverse is found in their background. Anyone who applies gets one, so you do not need to worry at all.
Wishing you all the best for your career ahead!
Join Our Forum discussion on various topics and subscribe our Youtube channel to get updates on webinars