Its not about how bad you want it.Its about how hard you are willing to work for it.
Getting good score in gate doesnt depend on which book you follow. Study the books that u have been studying since 2nd year and books that you are most comfortable in.
To get a good score in GATE , you need
- Good technical knowledge and understanding of Basic Concepts
- Ability to apply the knowledge and concepts on variety of problems
For all GATE aspirants, learning the basics is the key to a good score but with high probability, there would be a few questions which we cannot solve completely with the preparation we have already had. for questions like this, do not panic or leave the question unanswered by default.
We have few Webinars and talk about GATE here.
10 BEST TIPS TO GET GOOD GATE SCORE
- Read and understand the question completely. understand what is given and what is asked for.
- Try to make some headway with this information. for instance you dont remember or know a formula but know that the answer is directly proportional to something or inversely proportional to something else. try to formalize this partial knowledge in a helpful way
- Look at the answer choices and eliminate ones that are obviously wrong
- Look for patterns in the choices. sometimes, the choice that sticks out the most is probably a wrong choice. sometimes, all the choices contain the same variables but in different positions (numerator, denominator, exponent, log etc)
- Using any of the heuristic, if you have narrowed down the choices, then guess.
i repeat, this is to be used as a last resort and not as an excuse for not preparing but you will be surprised at how many questions you can answer if you follow this. This way of answering is dangerous and is an art. this art can be honed only attempting many practice questions of multiple choice types and not by just reading the theory.
- Never Skip any subject.
- Regularly practice ” Mathematics ” (Engg+Discrete) , the common mistake that most of the candidate makes is they prepare hard technical subjects and leave Maths for future( the future that is uncertain to come).
- There is no particular weightage of subjects in GATE, prepare every subject equally.
- Don’t try to solve practice questions without even going through the actual concepts (theory) by your own – This is especially for the students those who have joined some coaching.
[ Remember, there is no shortcut to success. ]
- Smart work will bring you under AIR-100 , hard work may bring lesser rank.
10 BEST BOOKS TO GET GOOD GATE SCORE
”Discrete maths and its applications” By Kenneth Rosen
This is an excellent book for GATE preps. Lot of problems are given at the end of every chapter plus answers are also given to odd numbered exercises. The explaination in this book is really very good and “easy to understand”. This book is must read for GATE .
Book by Tremblay and Manohar
The contents in this book is hard to comprehend. You need to have your basics cleared before you attempt this book. This book is also a “must read”.
”Introduction to Algorithms” By T.H.Cormen et al.
This is “THE” book for Algorithms. The Book is simply brilliant, it makes you understand every details of Algorithms. So this book is a must read. In addition to this book I strongly recommend you to see the video lectures from MIT. The lectures are given by Lieserson,(who is also one of the authors of CLRS) and Erik demaine. The
lectures are absolutely brilliant. You may download them from Free Online Course Materials.
3.THEORETICAL COMPUTER SCIENCE
“Introduction toComputer Theory” By Daniel Cohen. The contents in this book are lucid. Also solving or atleast attempting the problems inthe exercises is a must. But its really great if you could read Ullman. The book by Micheal Sipser is also very good.
4.DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
I used Korth and Navathe for this. Initially I read korth because it is lucid and then only for normalization i read Navathe. The database design part in korth is difficult so read this part with utmost concentration and you may require several readings before you begin to understand things.
Operating System Concepts By Galvin et al.
Attempt problems in Stallings they are very important especially problems on memory management and virtual memory. In Galvin the theory on memory management is excellent.
6. DIGITAL DESIGN
Read “Digital Design” By morris mano . Computer Architecture book by Hamacher has an appendix that summarizes Digital logic very well
”Computer Architecture” By Morris mano
”Computer Organization” By Zacky,hamacher
”Computer Organization Hardware/Software Interface” By Hennessey and Patterson
Book of forouzan and some chapters from Comer’s book. Attempt the exercises from forouzan they are important.
“The C programming language” by kernighan and Ritchie that is more than enough plus spend some time in actually programming in C that is the best way you can learn C.
“People” say Ullman’s book is excellent so you can read it from Ullman if you believe “People”.
In the final phase of your preps “try” to solve GATE papers. The answers for the GATE papers are not present anywhere but still you should attempt them anyway. This will give you confidence that you can actually solve GATE. You can read all the subjects given here you can skip one or two if you dont have much time But more important thing is to “MASTER”atleast 2 or 3 subjects. Also actively participate in discussions at GATE CS forums and subscribe our Youtube channel to get updates on webinars– that helps alot in patching few loopholes in our concepts and enhancing your problem solving skills.Just be confident you can do it!