Companies often start the interview process with a telephone screening.This is advantageous from the company’s side.Because it can take a lot of people to organize a face to face interview,Finding available times for all the interviewers, HR, recruitment team and meeting room and so on.This is also helpful for you, because you can attend it from anywhere.
Make sure you are prepared well before the interview call.If you have to take the call while at work,
- Book a quite meeting / discussion room.
- Or find quite corner of the office.
- Or go to nearby coffee shop which is quite.
If you are expecting to do a remote live coding exercise, then make sure that you have internet access wherever you are and have a pen and paper to make a notes of a question.Use a hand-free kit when typing, lot will make the call much clearer for the interviewer.Usually a phone screen lasts for 30 to 60 and you should expect some very high level questions.
You should know basics of the company.
- Look at the “about us” page of their website.
- Read their blogs.
- If the company is start-up then find out the senior members such as CTO, CEO.
At the end of any interview, the interviewer will often ask if you have any questions for them. Answering no will leave them a bad impression so think about what you want to know from them.The questions can be,
- About team dynamic
- How team works together
- What office environment is like
Please do not ask about the salary or anything else to do with the package.You have to plenty of time to ask about your salary once you are settled with the job.
Frequent Technical questions asked in telephonic interview:
- You should be aware of the nature of the role and languages and framework used.
- If the role is on the web applications, then the questions can come from API and framework.
- Some interviewers relay on pen and paper asking simple definite answer questions (or) simple algorithms.
- Some may ask you share the screen to execute the code in IDE. This is a fairer way of testing, because it is a similar environment to how candidates work when doing their job.
- When you are tested with a fully functioning IDE, or compiler, you have no excuse for producing code that does not compile.
For example, if you got a question of “write a simple algorithms to merge two sorted list of integers”.Then you should first write test cases.The content of each test cares should be easy to understand from the name.Writing test cases should not take more than 10 minutes.Test cases probably do not cover all possible code but should give you and interviewer confidence in your actual implementation.
If you are inexperienced with interviews they can be quite daunting.The best way to remove any fear is simply with experience.
People can find rejection hard from interviews, especially when they have had much success in academic life.Interviewing for a job is not the same as taking a university or college exam.Every single aspect of you is being examined from your personality to your skills.There is no shame in being rejected for a role.Getting the questions right is only half of the bottle.
The biggest key is to facing any interview is preparation. Make sure you understand the domain properly and try to visualize what exactly the interviewers are going to want from the interview.
Think about the questions they may ask, and make sure you have some questions of your own to ask them.
Join the Forum to discuss more about interview.