Here are 10 tips for a successful job interview
1) Write a powerful resume
- documented proof of the successes you have achieved in various fields in the past.
- your version of story.
- through your resume you are able to tell others what you would like them to know about you.
Here are the points to write powerful resume,
- Have a Master Resume(it can be your LinkedIn profile) with all your projects and work experience.then you can prepare resume from your master resume and match the particular job you are applying.
- Your front page of resume should be clear so that the employer will get interest to read further of it.
- There are many templates or websites available to create a resume..Use anyone of them and update your resume consistently
- Keep it focused. Don’t give complete summary of your academic qualification or about the projects.Make it in few words and you can explain them in details if the employer shows interest in it.
- Get your resume reviewed by friend or mentor or career counselor.
- Have a LinkedIn profile so that you will be update your resume frequently whenever you had any updates.
- How you view yourself.
- How well you can present yourself.
- How much you love your success.
- How positive and energetic you are for achieving success.
- How creative you are.
- How well you can sell yourself.
2) Research about the company
Get to know more about the company which you have applied for interview
and you will be clear to decide if the company is right place for you to work.
This will also help you while having conversation with interviewer and you can show yourself well in “tell me about yourself” by adding few words about the company and your interest in the company.
Glassdoor.com gives reviews about companies. You can search for companies.
Match your qualifications with Job requirements listed and be prepared to answer how you are the right choice for the job position.
3) Make a checklist and check it on night before the interview.
- Resume and referral mail(if you are going through some referral) copies
- check the Bus route to reach the company.
- Formal outfit
- Healthy meal
- Prepare the questions which you want to ask interviewer to get clarity about the company or the job position.
- If you have the details of interviewer then check their profile in LinkedIn.com.
- Avoid sweaty palms
4) Work on your Soft skills
- People skills
- Find mentors
- Build a brand
- Long-term career perspective
- Value non-technical courses
- Understand data gathering and analysis
- Presentation skills
- Separate personal and professional lives
- Work/life balance
- Prioritizing and executing
Pick your comfortable formal outfits for your job interview.Just keep your outfit as simple as that because appearance plays major role in getting first good impression.
6) Have a Mock interview
Most importantly there are some things which you should tell and not to tell or do during interview.
Should in interview:
- You are motivated
- You are constantly seeking to learn new things
- You are flexible at work
- You are a good influncer
- You are excited about the job.
- Provide an example for the questions asked by interviewer.
Should not in interview:
- Talking negatively about the current employer.
- showing not interest in knowing about the interviewer or the company.
- Answering phone calls or text messages.
- Taking long time for answering the question.If you dont know the answer then be open and tell that you dont know the answer.
- While introducing you dont tell more about personal life.Just few words is fine.
It may include:
• Arithmetic Aptitude (questions on basic maths)
• Logical Reasoning
• Verbal (checking how good the person is in English language)
You may practice aptitude at: https://www.indiabix.com/
- When the topic is assigned, if you have any doubts on the topic, just ask. Ask the coordinator whatever is not clear to you before the discussion starts.
- The one who starts or concludes the discussion has the maximum chances of clearing the GD.
- Be confident and fluent when you are expressing your points. You need to show your command in English language as well as your confidence about the point you are stating.
- Be clear with your points. If you are in favour of a topic, you need to support the topic throughout the discussion. You cannot switch your views between the discussion, even if you are against the whole crowd. Extra points are always awarded to the person who has a stand in the discussion.
- Don’t make the GD a debate. Remember it is a discussion and you don’t have to fight if someone has different views than yours.
- Let others speak. If you see someone is trying to speak but is not able to speak because of others, you should give him/her a chance by actually saying “Let him speak” politely. It gives a good impression on the coordinator.
- If you don’t have much knowledge of the topic and don’t have your own points, then listen to everyone’s points and form your view from that and speak. You have to speak at least once in the discussion.
- When you are addressing the other people in the GD, don’t call them by their name. Address them by saying “my colleague” or “my fellow mate” or “previous speaker”. For example, if you want to carry forward the point of your previous speaker, you can start by “As my fellow mate said” or “I agree or disagree to my previous speaker”.
- Quote examples on the topic or come up with the facts. It makes the coordinator feel that you have a good knowledge about the topic. Also, other than facts and examples, do come up with your own point of view on the topic as well.
- If you keep all the above points in mind and practice group discussions with your friends, I can assure you that there will be 90% chances that you will clear the GD.
• Database Management System
• Data Structures
• Design and Analysis of Algorithms
• Object Oriented Programming Concepts
• Basic C fundamentals
Depending on the background of the company, you may be asked questions from these subjects as well
10) Prepare for the HR Interview –
Here are few of the strengths with examples that you can quote in the interview (if you have them in you):
Hardworking: I got 10 CGPA in my class 10th or I got my branch changed on the basis of merit after first year or being the head of some society in the college, I was able to make all the last minute preparations for an event and made it hit.
Team Player: Member of societies of the college or member of football team or successful completion of internship project in a team of 4 etc.
Leadership Qualities: Head of some society of the college, caption of the football team or lead a project in a company successfully.
Punctuality: Always on time in class, Timely completion of the projects assigned to you.
Creative: Organised creative events in college, any creativity you have done in your projects.
Good communication skills: You can prove this in your interview itself or give example of debates or speech competitions you have taken part in or any kind of anchoring you have done on the stage.
Good hold in a language, be it English or any foreign language (French, Spanish etc) : It can be a real benefit if you are applying to a multinational company which has foreign clients.
Patient: Give example of a situation that you handled patiently.
Adaptable: You can explain adapting in the hostel environment or a new place you went for a job for the first time or you can explain about being adaptable to new technologies.
Handle Pressure well: Give example of situation that was a bit stressful but you handled it well. You can always explain handling the exam pressure well or the pressure of a new project.
If you feel you don’t have any strength worth telling, you can also manipulate your strengths with the above given examples but make sure you have a good example to tell.
Make sure you know your strengths before going for the interview.
Telling your weakness is little more complex than telling your strengths to the interviewer because this can go completely against you.
So, whenever you are asked your weakness, you need to keep the following point in mind:
When you tell your weakness, along with that, you have to mention what you are doing to overcome that weakness or how that weakness sometimes motivates you to work more. This will make the interviewer understand that you are actually working to overcome your weakness and it will help you have a good impression from the interviewer.
I am mentioning some of the weaknesses along with how to overcome them. You can use them as you want:
Problem of Time management: Having such a busy schedule, I have a time management problem and out of so many things to do, some things are missed.
REMEDY: Making a list of the tasks to do and checking them when completed so that nothing is missed. Or making a proper schedule for the day and following it properly.
I get stressed out when I am not able to meet people’s expectations:
BENEFIT: It motivates me to work harder to fulfill everyone’s expectations and in that process, I get better and better.
Being too critical about myself: I often criticize me for not performing up to the mark.
BENEFIT: It leads to my constant improvement.
You can mention any subject that you are afraid of but make sure you don’t mention that subject that is very important for the job.
English Speaking skills: If you are applying for a pure “in the laptop” job, where you don’t have to interact with much people, you can mention this weakness, or otherwise if you mention, you have to tell what you have do till now to improve it.
IMPROVEMENTS: Read English novels, Watch English movies, Read English newspaper, Some English speaking coaching classes.
I get stressed out when it comes to deadlines:
BENEFIT: So, I make a proper schedule for the deadline to complete and I assure that I complete my work at a fair time before the deadline.
Always remember, you can’t mention that quality your weakness that is much needed for the job.
For example, if you are applying for IT job, you can’t say that Data Structures is your weakness but you can say that you don’t like mathematics that much. But if you are applying for an Accounting job, you can’t say that Maths is your weakness.
So, you may have to mold your weakness on the basis of the company and the post you are applying for. Also, you need to show your flexibility in overcoming your weakness.
I hope now you can answer this tricky question well and take the interview in your favor.